© Waseda University
Memorial Theatre Museum
This section introduces some of the major figures in the history of Noh since the Edo era. Based on written accounts, we will trace their personalities and the arts which were written indelibly on the hearts of their contemporaries.
- Umewaka Minoru (1828-1909 Kanze School, Shitekata)
Setting the Stage for Noh Restoration.
- Sakurama Banma (Sajin) (1835-1917 Konparu School, Shitekata )
A Master of Acting Technique.
- Hōshō Kurō Tomoharu (1837-1917 Hōshō School, Shitekata)
"Fukagawa-san": Devoted to Noh.
- Kongoh Tadaichi (1815-1884 Kongoh School, Shitekata)
A Man of Ingenuity.
- Kita Roppeita XIV (1874-1971 Kita School, Shitekata)
A Giant with Small Body.
- Shinsaku Hōshō (1836-1898 Shimogakari Hōshō School, Wakikata)
Famous Waki Actor who Established Meiji Era Noh.
- Kingo Misu (1832-1910 Kō School, Kotsuzumikata)
Famous Kotsuzumi Player Who Preserved the Edo Style
the-NOH.com All right reserved.